Whether its Spring Break, Easter, or Summer time this Watermelon Turtle is the perfect snack & Serving tray!
Tools: a long knife, paring knife, channel knife, toothpicks, and melon baller.
Ingredients: 1 oblong seedless watermelon, blueberries, grapes, and 2 peppercorns.
- Choose an oblong seedless watermelon for carving.
- Wash watermelon and pat dry.
- Cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut a slice no more than 1/4″ thick off the bottom, lengthwise, to create a flat base.
- Hollow out both sides, using a melon baller.
- Carve out block design in the bottom side, using a channel knife. (Copy from photo).
- Take the top half, cut that in half lengthwise. The top portion will be the shell. The bottom portion of the top half will be for the head, legs, and tail.
- Draw the legs and head on top piece (not being used for the shell) by lightly scoring with the tip of the paring knife. I went about 0.5 mm – 1 mm deep.
- After the sketch lines look ok, cut through the piece all the way, using the paring knife.
- Carve the shell design using the channel knife.
- Add peppercorns to the eye holes to fill.
- Fill bottom with fruit salad.
- Attach legs, head, and tail to shell using strong toothpicks or skewers, and put on top of salad.
Thank you to NamaBakery, for this creative and fun idea! Check them out for more Summer fun ideas! namabakery.wordpress.com