Grilled Chicken Shawarma with Garlic Yogurt is an easy, grilled chicken version of the classic Turkish street food which is usually cooked on a rotating spit.
- 1 pound (2) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
GARLIC YOGURT SAUCE:
- 1 (7-ounce) container 2% Greek yogurt (I like Fage)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Place the chicken breasts, 1 at a time, in a Ziploc bag. Pound each breast to an even thickness, about ½-inch thick, being careful not to puncture the bag. Place pounded chicken breasts back into bag and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and black pepper and whisk again.
- Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken, massaging it to evenly coat. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- In a small bowl (or right in the container), combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Over medium-high heat, grill the chicken for 3 minutes or until it no longer sticks to the grill. Turn the chicken and grill an additional 3-4 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes then slice it thinly, across the grain. Top each breast with 2 tablespoons sauce and a sprinkle of parsley. Serve.
Thank you for the delicious recipe, Skinny Taste! Read more at: www.skinnytaste.com/