Do you love Panera’s Broccoli and Cheese soup as much as I do? If so, you will love this recipe. It is simple and sure to please any crowd!
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces- reserving 1/2 cup for later
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Heaping cup of grated cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1 heaping cup of regular Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, place the chicken broth, broccoli (minus the reserved 1/2 cup), onions, garlic, carrots and heat until boiling, mixing every minute or so for roughly 7 minutes- until broccoli is nice & tender and onions are soft. set aside.
- In a separate large pot, add the butter and flour – on medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour in your broth/broccoli mixture and slowly, mix well.
- slowly add in your heavy cream then put on low temp, uncovered and allow to simmer.
- Next add in all of your spices, the cheeses as well, while stirring consistently.
- Simmer about 7 minutes on low-med, mixing occasionally.
- Place 1/2 cup of reserved broccoli into the microwave and steam until soft.
- Garnish your soup with the reserved steamed broccoli and top with grated cheddar.